puffers & vics

 

HOME    PUFFERS    VICS     BUILDERS     OWNERS     ENGINES    HISTORY    VIDEOS      CLYDEMARITIME     ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS 

 

Union

 

Builder Henry Murray   Pt Glasgow
Official Nr 55446
Yard Nr 2
Launched 17/12/1867
Delivered  
Length 64.5 ft
Beam 16.5 ft
Gross 46 tons
Nett 37 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for a McDonald of Millport on the Isle of Great Cumbrae.Later that year she passed into the ownership of Archibald D Hamilton of Glasgow, where she was registered in 1868. In 1869 she was acquired by a Henry Morrison of Spoutmouth, Glasgow. On 27th May of that same year while under the command of her master and then owner, a Mr T Ross, she stranded  at Castleness Point in St Andrews Bay while on passage in ballast between Crail and Dundee.

The subsequent Court of Enquiry held in Dundee made the damning determination that "From the condition of the hull and machinery the vessel was not fit for the service in which she was engaged, and in consequence of the persons in charge not beng sailors, she was not navigated with the skill and care necessary for her safety, nor for the due protection of life and property."