puffers & vics








Builder Swan Kelvin Dock
Yard Nr  
Official Nr 89932
Launched 1884
Length 65.6 ft
Beam 17.5ft
Gross 69 tons
Nett 40 tons
Engine 2 cyl steam compound

Built for Richard Munro of Glasgow. In the 1890 NML she is shown owned by John Scott Munro of 160 Hope Street Glasgow. By 1891 she was registered in Belfast and owned by a Frank B. Summers of Chester. In 1897 she was owned by John Summers and Company. She was re-registered in Glasgow in 1903 and in 1910 the MNL shows her owned by George Hooton of Liverpool. She foundered in the Mersey on  21st February 1920. Her wreck was abandoned to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board and her ultimate fate is unknown.

The postcard below shows her beached at Oban near to the Lighthouse Pier.Crawford Alexander, who has his own copy of it, has dated the postcard as no later than September 1905 although it could be a few years earlier than that. Peter Arendz has identified the ship alongside the Lighthouse Pier as the NLB's "Hesperus", built in 1896 and based at Oban.

Photograph courtesy of the Graham Lappin collection