puffers & vics






Builder Swan, Kelvin Dock
Official Nr 63937
Yard Nr  
Launched 27/6/1871
Length 65.3 ft
Beam 16.ft
Gross 58 tons
Nett 35 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Built for James Sinclair, of Stirling. No original builder's specification is available but it is assumed that she was launched as a dumb lighter. In 1887 she was altered to 65.3 x 16 x 7.3ft. and fitted with a 10hp engine. In 1888 she is owned by Chas W. Scott, draughtsman, James Scott, carpenter, both of Bowling and Angus McPhail, Crinan, master mariner. In 1891 A. McPhail is sole owner. By 1904 she had been purchased by Richard Burrows, Glasgow. 1907 no change. Last owner Wm Gill, Tomich, Invergordon (mgr Geo Bremner, Inverness). On 03/12/1910 when loaded with a cargo of timber, she stranded on Gizzin Briggs near Tain Bar in the Dornoch Firth with engine failure. She was battered by heavy seas with two of her three crew losing their lives. Her manager reported her to be a total loss  and on 07/01/1911 her registration was closed. The loss of life led to questions in parliament over the lack of a local lifeboat service and other life-saving equipment.