puffers & vics




Builder Larne Shipbuilding Co
Official Nr 121203
Yard Nr
Launched 1905
Length 66.7 ft
Beam 18.4 ft
Gross 96 tons
Nettt 36 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam compound

Her earliest MNL entry is for 1910 which shows her registered at Glasgow to James Martin of 1 Robertson Street in the City. By 1915 she was owed by Thomas Dougall and James Stirrat of St Vincent Place, Glasgow.  In 1930 she is owned by William S Douglas of Fort William.

Her 1940 entry shows her now owned by the Millom & Askam Hematite Iron Co, of Millom, Cumberland, although still registered in Glasgow.

The photograph below right has a note on the back to the effect that she was built at Larne in 1905 and that her owner in 1931 was a WS Douglas of Fort William. The photograph is believed taken at Fort William.

The photograph in the left shows her at Millport pier with, in the foreground an unnamed gabbert and at the face of the pier the Caledonian Steam Packet Company's 1903 Fairfield-built paddler "Duchess of Fife". This probably dates the photograph to between 1905 and the Duchess' requisition for war service in 1914 as not long after her return she transferred to the LMS and adopted their colours..

photograph courtesy of the Graham Graham Lappin collection

photograph courtesy of the Roy Cressey Collection