puffers & vics



James & Andrew Ross, Camelon


Not much is known about this small boatbuilder on the Forth and Clyde Canal at Camelon near Falkirk other than that in (probably) 1840 the brothers James and Andrew Ross of Airth began building boats at a yard near Lock 16. Andrew died in 1845 and James, who had discovered pitch as a commodity in the boatyard, moved into chemical manufacturing at Limewharf just west of Port Downie. The only steam lighter believed to have been built by them was the Afghan although as she wasn't launched until 1880 the yard  must have been under new ownership by then.