Ultimately owned by Captain William McMillan of Campbeltown
in partnership with a Daniel MacMillan of Clarkston, Near
Glasgow. "Halcyon" was a two-masted auxilliary ketch and not
really a true "puffer". She is worthy of inclusion if for
no other reason than that she plied her trade in the waters of
the Clyde for almost 20 years, from 1947 until 1966 when
Captain McMillan retired.
Halcyon was built at Hessle on the Humber in 1903 for M
Aaron of Hull and is described as being a "Billy Boy" type
sailing vessel. According to Lloyds Registers of 1929 to 1940
she was owned by E H Pudney of Brightlingsea in Essex, and
laterly of Great Yarmouth. In 1929 she was fitted with a
2 cylinder auxilliary oil engine made by Dantz of
Cologne. In 1938 this was replaced by a 1935-made
National Gas & Oil Engine Co 4 cyl unit. During this
period she continued to be Hull registered.
Acquired by William MacMillan in 1947, she was fitted with
a second engine to supplement her 1938 one, another 1935
made 4 cyl unit from National Gas & Oil.
LR of 1951 and 1954 shows her in the ownership of Captain
William MacMillan of Campbeltown but still Hull registered.
By 1959 she had been registered at Irvine, and continued to
be so until she was eventually scrapped in 1966 following
Captain MacMillan's retirement.
The photograph below is labelled "Entering Troon Harbour"
but is undated.