puffers & vics


Advance (2)    


Builder Kelvin Dock (Burrell?)
Official Nr 98669
Yard Nr
Launched 1891
Length 65.5 ft
Beam 17.3 ft
Gross 55 tons
Nett 33 tons
Engine 2 Cyl Steam Compound

Information on this "Advance" is scant. In 1910 she is registered to Duncan McLachlan of Kames Cottage, Dunoon. By 1915 she is shown to be owned by John McCreath of Hunters Quay and she is still so recorded in the 1930 mnl. By 1933 she had passed into the ownership of a Jane Young of Baillies of Troon.

Neither of the photographs below are dated. On the left she is seen at the head of Loch Fyne, and on the right at Dunoon. There is also an excellent hand-coloured postcard of her alongside the "Effort" at Hunter's Quay on the latter's page .

Photographs courtesy of The Graham Lappin collection