Built for the Light Shipping Co. as
the third of their vessels to bear this name. Sold on in 1967 to Alex Mair, a timber merchant at Troon and
renamed "Sitka". In 1968 she was registered to Thomas Mair and the
next year she was re-engined, with one of the two oil engines
removed from the "Halcyon"
which had just been broken up at Troon. In 1977 she was
bought by C & A Mackenzie of Gourock.
She was later moved to Adams slip at
Gourock where the hull looks to have been surveyed; there was a suggestion that she be cut up
to use as a template for a reconstruction but
this clearly never happened. Subsequently she was purchased for £1 by Inverclyde Initiative with
the intent of restorsation and she was
moved to Lamont's former drydock at Greenock where she lay
into the 90s . It is believed that she met her end
courtesy of the cutting torch at the old Lithgows Shed
at Port Glasgow.
The upper photograph is of her at
Dunoon and is dated 12th September 1957 (Is that the "Duchess
of Hamilton's" bow at bottom right and could that be the
"Cowal" in the distance on her way to Gourock?). The
photograph bottom left is undated but shows her in the Clyde
before her reincarnation as "Vital Spark" for her role in the
filming of the BBC TV series in 1973-4, This acting role was
her swansong and her dilapidated state in the photograph on
the right taken at Bowling in
1979 shows "Sitka" clearly visible underneath "Vital Spark".