The Ministry of War Transport existed between 1941 and 1945 to acquire vessels for use in the British war effort. The MOWT neither managed nor operated any of the ships themselves; all were placed under the control of either the Armed Services, other Government Departments, or commercial shipping lines.
Of particular relevance to this site, they commissioned the building of all of the Victualing Inshore Craft (VIC) which are detailed here. These vessels were allocated to various government departments, including the Admiralty (Royal Navy) and the Army. Several were despatched overseas and many ended their days in some far distant port, even as far away as Singapore.