Originally built as a sailing vessel, the "Gladstone", for a George J Kidston
of Glasgow, she was fitted with a 25hp steam engine in 1899
and in 1900 was acquired by Alexander Ross ( Ross & Marshall ) of Greenock and renamed "Searchlight".
She was bought in 1918 by Wm Campbell of Greenock and had been
revoved from the
MNL by 1926.