Founded in 1711 by John Scott, his family purchased the Greenock
Foundry in 1790 and commenced building at Cartsdyke Dockyard in 1850
as Scott & Company.
The adjacent yard of R Steel & Co was purchased in 1883,
allowing for the creation of the Cartsburn Dockyard and its
establishment as a naval constructor..
In 1925 Scotts acquired the Cartsdyke Mid Yard belonging to the
puffer-building and operating firm of Ross & Marshall. The next
espansion was in 1965 when they purchased Scott
& Sons of Bowling. Later that same year, they merged with
the Greenock Dockyard Comany, allowing the integration of the
Cartsburn and Cartsdyke Dockyards, completed in 1966.
In 1967 yet another merger, this time with their near-neighbours,
Lithgows Ltd., to form Scott-Lithgow Ltd. Ten years later in
1977 the then Labour Government nationalised the UK's shipbuilding
industry and Scott Lithgow disappeared into the monolithic British
The inevitable followed: just two years later the Cartsdyke yard
closed. In 1983 the new Conservative government started selling the
nationalised yards back into provate hands and Scott Lithgow was
purchased by the Trafalgar House conglomerate. A year later the
Cartsburn yard went the same way as Cartsdyke, effectively ending
welll over two hundred years of shipbuilding there. Scott Lithgow
itself ceased trading in 1993.